Egginton Bros. Ltd: Website Terms and Conditions of Supply.
This page together with the documents expressly referred to on it tells you information about us and the legal terms and conditions (Terms) on which we sell any of the products (Products) listed on our website (our site) to you.
In addition to the following Terms and Conditions of Supply, please also refer to our additional terms and policies as follows:
These Terms will apply to any contract between us for the sale of Products to you (Contract). Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them, before ordering any Products from our site. Please note that by ordering any of our Products, you agree to be bound by these Terms and the other documents expressly referred to in it.
Please tick the check box indicating that you accept our Terms and Conditions of Supply. If you refuse to accept these Terms, you will not be able to order any Products from our site.
We reserve the right to amend these Terms from time to time as set out in clause 8. Every time you wish to order Products, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time. These Terms were most recently updated on 9 October 2014 when we changed clause 9. These Terms, and any Contract between us, are only available in English.
1. INFORMATION ABOUT US 1.1 We operate the website www.sheffieldcollectableknives.com. We are Egginton Bros. Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 00548464 and with our registered office at 25-31 Allen Street, Sheffield 3, S3 7AW. Our main trading address is as above. Our VAT number is GB172470273. To contact us, please see our Contact Us page.
2. OUR PRODUCTS 2.1 We operate a policy of continuous improvement and as a result, our products may differ from those illustrated, but will always in our opinion, be an improvement on those products previously offered. 2.2 Our products are handmade and we use natural materials. As a result there may be subtle differences between examples of the same pattern. 2.3 The images of the Products on our site are for illustrative purposes only. Although we have made every effort to display the colours accurately, we cannot guarantee that your computer's display of the colours accurately reflect the colour of the Products. The Products ordered may vary slightly from those images. 2.4 Although we have made every effort to be as accurate as possible, all sizes, weights, capacities, dimensions and measurements indicated on our site will be approximate. 2.5 The packaging of the Products may vary from that shown on images on our site. We pack all knives such that the blades are well protected but great care should be taken when opening packages and handling knives. 2.6 All Products shown on our site are subject to availability. 2.7 Certain Products may be personalised or made to order.
3. USE OF OUR SITE Your use of our site is governed by our Terms of website use and Website Acceptable Use Policy. Please take the time to read these, as they include important terms which may apply to you.
5. IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER This clause 5 only applies if you are a consumer. 5.1 If you are a consumer, you may only purchase Products from our site if you are at least 18 years old or if you are the appropriate age to purchase Products from our site in accordance with the laws of your jurisdiction. Anyone purchasing Products from our site should be aware of any laws in their jurisdiction concerning possession and use of such items and should abide by such laws. (a) Products on our site can only be purchased if you satisfy the legal age requirement for that product. We are not allowed by law to supply these Products to you if you do not satisfy these age requirements. If you are underage, please do not attempt to order these Products through our site. (b) We reserve the right to carry out checks we deem necessary regarding your legal age, including but not limited to asking for documentary proof of age, prior to dispatching. 5.2 As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Institute. Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
6. IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS CUSTOMER This clause 6 only applies if you are a business. 6.1 If you are not a consumer, you confirm that you have authority to bind any business on whose behalf you use our site to purchase Products. 6.2 These Terms and any document expressly referred to in them constitutes the entire agreement between you and us and supersedes and extinguishes all previous agreements, promises, assurances, warranties, representations and understandings between us, whether written or oral, relating to its subject matter. 6.3 You acknowledge that in entering into this Contract you do not rely on any statement, representation, assurance or warranty (whether made innocently or negligently) that is not set out in these Terms or any document expressly referred to in them. 6.4 You and we agree that neither of us shall have any claim for innocent or negligent misrepresentation or negligent misstatement based on any statement in this Contract.
7. HOW THE CONTRACT IS FORMED BETWEEN YOU AND US 7.1 Our order process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your order to us. Please take the time to read and check your order at each page of the order process. 7.2 After you place an order, you will receive an e-mail from us acknowledging that we have received your order and payment (Order Acknowledgement e-mail). However, please note that this does not mean that your order has been accepted. Our acceptance of your order will take place as described in clause 7.3. or If you place an order for a product which is personalised or custom- made to order, please refer to clause 7.4. 7.3 For items displayed as available from stock we will confirm our acceptance to you by sending you an e-mail that confirms that the Products have been dispatched (Dispatch Confirmation e-mail). The Contract between us will only be formed when we send you the (Dispatch Confirmation). 7.4 If you have placed an order for a product that has to be custom made to order or personalised you will receive an e-mail from us confirming that we have received your order and payment (Order Confirmation email for Custom-made / Personalised Knife e-mail). The Contract between us will be formed when we send you this Email. A timeframe will be given in this Email as to how long the product will take to design. When the product is ready, we will send an email to confirm that the product has been dispatched (Dispatch Confirmation ) 7.5 For items displayed as available from stock, if we are unable to supply you with a Product, ,we will inform you of this by e-mail (Notification of Non-availability of Ordered Products) and we will not process your order. If you have already paid for the Products, we will refund you the full amount as soon as possible.
8. OUR RIGHT TO VARY THESE TERMS 8.1 We may revise these Terms from time to time. 8.2 We reserve the right to make changes to these Terms. Every time you order Products from us, the Terms in force at that time will apply to the Contract between you and us.
9. YOUR CONSUMER RIGHT OF RETURN AND REFUND This clause 9 only applies if you are a consumer. 9.1 If you are a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel a Contract under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 during the period set out below in clause 9.3. This means that during the relevant period if you change your mind or for any other reason you decide you do not want to keep a Product, you can notify us of your decision to cancel the Contract and receive a refund. Advice about your legal right to cancel the Contract under these regulations is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. 9.2 However, this cancellation right does not apply in the case of: (a) any products made to your specification or clearly personalised or custom-made. 9.3 You may cancel a Contract from the date you receive the Dispatch Confirmation, which is when the Contract between us is formed. If the Products have already been delivered to you, you have a period of 14 working days in which you may cancel, starting from the day you receive the Products. Please note this right does not apply to personalised or made to order products. 9.4 To cancel a Contract, please contact us in writing to tell us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by sending a letter to 25-31 Allen Street, Sheffield 3, S3 7AW. You may wish to keep a copy of your cancellation notification for your own records. If you send us your cancellation notice by e-mail or by post, then your cancellation is effective from the date you sent us the e-mail or posted the letter to us. 9.5 You will receive a full refund of the price you paid for the Products and any applicable delivery charges you paid for. We will process the refund due to you as soon as possible and, in any case, within 30 calendar days of the day on which you gave us notice of cancellation as described in clause 9.4. If you returned the Products to us because they were faulty or mis-described, please see clause 9.6. 9.6 If you have returned the Products to us under this clause 9 because they are faulty or mis-described, we will refund the price of a defective Product in full, any applicable delivery charges, and any reasonable costs you incur in returning the item to us. 9.7 We refund you on the credit card or debit card used by you to pay. 9.8 If the Products were delivered to you: (a) you must return the Products to us as soon as reasonably practicable in the original packaging and in accordance with the guidelines for sending knives via post or carrier service. The knife and the blade point must be suitably protected. (b) unless the Products are faulty or not as described (in this case, see clause 9.6), you will be responsible for the cost of returning the Products to us. (c) you have a legal obligation to keep the Products in your possession and to take reasonable care of the Products while they are in your possession. 9.9 Details of your legal right to cancel and an explanation of how to exercise it are provided in the Dispatch Confirmation. 9.10 As a consumer, you will always have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. These legal rights are not affected by the returns policy in this clause 9 or these Terms. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Institute. This clause does not apply to international sales to consumers.
10.1 We will endeavour to dispatch your order by the date set out in the (Dispatch Confirmation email or Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife e-mail in the case of personalised products). In the case of custom-made or personalised products, an indication of lead time will be displayed on our website. The date given on the Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife (in the case of personalised products) should match the lead time displayed on our website. However, in the manufacturing process there are sometimes delays which may be caused by an Event Outside Our Control. If we are unable to meet the estimated delivery date because of an Event Outside Our Control, we will contact you with a revised estimated delivery date. 10.2 Delivery will be completed when we deliver the Products to the address you supplied to us. 10.3 Delivery will be made by our courier service using a fully tracked service. A signature by an adult is required on delivery (an “Adult” is a person older than 18 or of the legal age in the receiving country). 10.4 If no adult is available at the address to take delivery, our courier will leave a card with a parcel reference number and clear instructions to rearrange delivery. Our courier will make three attempts to deliver leaving a card at each time. If the third and final attempt is unsuccessful, our courier will hold the shipment at a local facility for five days, before returning it to us. 10.5 The Products will be your responsibility from the completion of delivery. 10.6 You own the Products once we have received payment in full, including all applicable delivery charges and we have issued a (Dispatch Confirmation or Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife e-mail in the case of personalised products). 10.7 The Products will be covered by our insurance policy for the delivery period until it is delivered to the delivery address you supplied to us.
11. INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY 11.1 We deliver to a wide range of countries. Please Contact Us for more information. 11.2 If you order Products from our site for delivery to one of the International Delivery Destinations, your order may be subject to import duties and taxes which are applied when the delivery reaches that destination. Please note that we have no control over these charges and we cannot predict their amount. 11.3 You will be responsible for payment of any such import duties and taxes. Please contact your local customs office for further information before placing your order. 11.4 You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the country for which the Products are destined. We will not be liable or responsible if you break any such law. 11.5 We will endeavour to dispatch your order by the date set out in the (Dispatch Confirmation ) or (Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife e-mail in the case of personalised products). In the case of custom-made or personalised products, an indication of lead time will be displayed on our website. The date given on the (Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife e-mail in the case of personalised products) should match the lead time displayed on our website. However, in the manufacturing process there are sometimes delays which may be caused by an Event Outside Our Control. If we are unable to meet the estimated delivery date because of an Event Outside Our Control, we will contact you with a revised estimated delivery date. 11.6 You own the Products once we have received payment in full, including all applicable delivery charges and we have issued a (Dispatch Confirmation or Order Confirmation for Custom-made/Personalised Knife e-mail in the case of personalised products).
12. PRICE OF PRODUCTS AND DELIVERY CHARGES 12.1 The prices of the Products will be as quoted on our site from time to time. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the prices of Products are correct at the time when the relevant information was entered onto the system. However if we discover an error in the price of Product(s) you ordered, please see clause 12.5 for what happens in this event. 12.2 Prices for our Products may change from time to time, but changes will not affect any order which we have confirmed with a Dispatch Confirmation. 12.3 The price of a Product includes VAT (where applicable) at the applicable current rate chargeable in the UK for the time being. However, if the rate of VAT changes between the date of your order and the date of delivery, we will adjust the VAT you pay, unless you have already paid for the Products in full before the change in VAT takes effect. 12.4 There are no delivery charges for products sold in the United Kingdom, but the price of a Product does not include delivery charges for Products sold outside the United Kingdom. Our delivery charges are as quoted on our site. 12.5 Our site contains a large number of Products. It is always possible that, despite our reasonable efforts, some of the Products on our site may be incorrectly priced. We will normally check prices as part of our dispatch procedures so that: (a) where the Product's correct price is less than the price stated on our site, we will contact you and refund the difference. However, if the pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could have reasonably been recognised by you as a mispricing, we do not have to provide the Products to you at the incorrect (lower) price; and (b) if the Product's correct price is higher than the price stated on our site, we will contact you in writing as soon as possible to inform you of this error and we will give you the option of continuing to purchase the Product at the correct price or cancelling your order. We will not process your order until we have your instructions. If we are unable to contact you using the contact details you provided during the order process, we will treat the order as cancelled and notify you in writing.
13. HOW TO PAY 13.1 You can only pay for Products using a debit card or credit card. 13.2 Payment for the Products and all applicable delivery charges is in advance. We will charge your debit card or credit card when you place your order.
14. MANUFACTURER GUARANTEES 14.1 Some of the Products we sell to you come with a manufacturer's guarantee. For details of the applicable terms and conditions, please refer to the manufacturer's guarantee provided with the Products and this link on our website (Our Products are made by craftsmen from the finest natural materials and will be replaced if found to be defective when used under normal conditions). 14.2 If you are a consumer, a manufacturer's guarantee is in addition to your legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Institute.
15. OUR WARRANTY FOR THE PRODUCTS 15.1 For Products which do not have a manufacturer's guarantee, we provide a warranty that on delivery and for a period of 12 months from delivery, the Products shall be free from material defects. However, this warranty does not apply in the circumstances described in clause 15.2. 15.2 The warranty in clause 15.1 does not apply to any defect in the Products arising from: (a) fair wear and tear; (b) willful damage, abnormal storage or working conditions, accident, negligence by you or by any third party; (c) if you fail to operate or use the Products in accordance with the user instructions; (d) any alteration or repair by you or by a third party who is not one of our authorised repairers; or (e) any specification provided by you. 15.3 If you are a consumer, this warranty is in addition to your legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Institute.
16. OUR LIABILITY IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS This clause 16 only applies if you are a business customer. 16.1 We only supply the Products for non-commercial use by your business, and you agree not to use the Product for any re-sale purposes. 16.2 Nothing in these Terms limit or exclude our liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by our negligence; (b) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; (c) breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession); or (d) defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987. 16.3 Subject to clause 16.2, we will under no circumstances whatever be liable to you, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, arising under or in connection with the Contract for: (a) any loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue; (b) loss or corruption of data, information or software; (c) loss of business opportunity; (d) loss of anticipated savings; (e) loss of goodwill; or (f) any indirect or consequential loss. 16.4 Subject to clause 16.2 and clause 16.3 , our total liability to you in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with the Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed £5 million 16.5 Except as expressly stated in these Terms, we do not give any representation, warranties or undertakings in relation to the Products. Any representation, condition or warranty which might be implied or incorporated into these Terms by statute, common law or otherwise is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. In particular, we will not be responsible for ensuring that the Products are suitable for your purposes.
17. OUR LIABILITY IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER This clause 17 only applies if you are a consumer. 17.1 If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breach of these Terms or our negligence, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if they were an obvious consequence of our breach or if they were contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into the Contract. 17.2 We only supply the Products for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the product for any commercial, business or re-sale purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity. 17.3 We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by our negligence; (b) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; (c) any breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession); (d) any breach of the terms implied by section 13 to 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (description, satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and samples); and (e) defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
18. EVENTS OUTSIDE OUR CONTROL 18.1 We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a Contract that is caused by an Event Outside Our Control. An Event Outside Our Control is defined below in clause 18.2. 18.2 An Event Outside Our Control means any act or event beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action by third parties, civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war, fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks or impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport. 18.3 If an Event Outside Our Control takes place that affects the performance of our obligations under a Contract: (a) we will contact you as soon as reasonably possible to notify you; and (b) our obligations under a Contract will be suspended and the time for performance of our obligations will be extended for the duration of the Event Outside Our Control. Where the Event Outside Our Control affects our delivery of Products to you, we will arrange a new delivery date with you after the Event Outside Our Control is over.
19. COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN US 19.1 When we refer, in these Terms, to "in writing", this will include e-mail. 19.2 If you are a consumer: (a) To cancel a Contract in accordance with your legal right to do so as set out in clause 9, you must contact us in writing by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a letter to 25-31 Allen Street, Sheffield 3, S3 7AW. You may wish to keep a copy of your cancellation notification for your own records. If you send us your cancellation notice by e-mail or by post, then your cancellation is effective from the date you sent us the e-mail or posted the letter to us. (b) If you wish to contact us in writing for any other reason, you can send this to us by e-mail or by pre-paid post to Egginton Bros. Ltd at 25-31 Allen Street, Sheffield 3, S3 7AW. You can always contact us by telephone on +44 (0)114 276 6123. 19.3 If we have to contact you or give you notice in writing, we will do so by e-mail or by pre-paid post to the address you provide to us in your order. 19.4 If you are a business: (a) Any notice or other communication given by you to us, or by us to you, under or in connection with the Contract shall be in writing and shall be delivered personally, sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service, e-mail, or posted on our website. (b) A notice or other communication shall be deemed to have been received: if delivered personally, when left at our registered office; if sent by pre-paid first class post or other next working day delivery service, at 9.00 am on the second Business Day after posting; if sent by e-mail, one Business Day after transmission; or, if posted on our website, immediately. (c) In proving the service of any notice, it will be sufficient to prove, in the case of a letter, that such letter was properly addressed, stamped and placed in the post and, in the case of an e-mail that such an e-mail was sent to the specified e-mail address of the addressee. (d) The provisions of this clause shall not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action.
20. OTHER IMPORTANT TERMS 20.1 We may transfer our rights and obligations under a Contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights or our obligations under these Terms. 20.2 You may only transfer your rights or your obligations under these Terms to another person if we agree in writing. However if you are a consumer and you have purchased a Product as a gift, you may transfer the benefit of the warranty in clause 15 to the recipient of the gift without needing to ask our consent. 20.3 This contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms, whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties Act) 1999 or otherwise. However, if you are a consumer, the recipient of your gift of a Product will have the benefit of our warranty at clause 15, but we and you will not need their consent to cancel or make any changes to these Terms. 20.4 Each of the paragraphs of these Terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect. 20.5 If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If we do waive a default by you, we will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that we will automatically waive any later default by you. 20.6 If you are a consumer, please note that these Terms are governed by English law. This means a Contract for the purchase of Products through our site and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it will be governed by English law. You and we both agree to that the courts of England and Wales will have jurisdiction. 20.7 If you are a business, a Contract and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales. 20.8 If you are a business, we both irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with a Contract or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims). 20.9 We will not file a copy of the Contract between us.